Planning & Zoning Services

Please browse some of the most commonly requested information regarding Planning & Zoning below. For more information, please visit the Planning, Zoning and Permitting Department page or contact us directly for assistance.


Not every project will need a zoning permit, but many will. You are required to apply for and receive a zoning permit from the Town of Carthage prior to applying for building permits at Moore County Planning & Inspections. Common projects that require a zoning permit from the Town of Carthage are (this is not an inclusive list):

  • Building a new home or adding on to an existing one.
  • Installing outdoor structures such as fences, decks, patios, swimming pools, sheds, barns, greenhouses, garages (attached or detached).
  • Temporary and permanent signs.
  • Opening a new business in an existing building.
  • Building or adding on to commercial buildings.
  • Operating a food truck in town limits.
  • Selling merchandise in parking lots or sidewalks (private or public) or conducting yard sales.

If you are unsure if your activity or building project requires a permit, please contact us and we will be happy to answer any questions you have. For more information, visit our Planning & Zoning Department page.


The act of rezoning property from one zoning district to another is a common practice and is allowed by right per N.C. General Statute Chapter 160D for local planning and development regulations. It is most commonly requested when a property owner, or potential property owner, wishes to use the land for something that is not currently permitted under the land's current zoning district. 

Examples of common rezoning requests:

  • To build a house on a lot that does not meet the town's setback requirements.
  • To subdivide a lot into pieces smaller than the current zoning district allows.
  • To operate a business that is not currently permitted in that zoning district.

To rezone a property, a public hearing must be held to allow neighbors and other members of the public a chance to voice their concerns or support. To view upcoming public hearings please visit the Public Notices page.

If you have questions about rezoning property, please contact the Town Planner.