Public Works

Phone number:  947-5041 or 947-2331
Emergency/After hours number:  (910) 783-5723

The Public Works Department provides services such as street maintenance, sanitation, water and sewer and cemetery maintenance.

Streets - The street division provides the following services:  street maintenance, sidewalk maintenance, street lighting, street sweeping and drainage activities.  Complaints or reports of potholes, street light outages, drainage problems or sidewalks in need of repair may be forwarded to the Public Works Department.

Sanitation - Household garbage is picked up on Monday mornings and should be placed next to the street in the container provided before 6:00 a.m.  Garbage will be picked up on all holidays that fall on a Monday, except for Christmas. 

Yard debris - is picked up every other Monday morning.  Grass clippings or leaves, should be placed in bags next to the street before 7:00 a.m.  Bags must weigh less than 50 pounds each, with a 20 bag limit per pick up.

Limbs may be placed next to the street if they are no more than six feet in length and three inches in diameter.  There is a one pile per pick up limit and the pile can be no larger than six feet long, five feet wide and three feet high.

No burning or burying of yard debris or garbage is allowed.

Recycling - A recycling container is located in the far right corner of the parking lot at Town Hall.  Residents should sort recyclables from household waste and deposit in this container.  All items must be empty and clean.  Please break down and flatten all cardboard boxes.

Cemetery - The Town owns and maintains Cross Hill Cemetery, located on McReynolds Street, at the western edge of the corporate limits.  Maintenance on the property is undertaken by the Town.  Plots in the new section of the cemetery are available for sale at the Town Hall.

Water and Sewer - Accounts are billed every month and are due on the 25th of the following month.  "Past Due" accounts are subject to a $50.00 penalty fee and immediate disconnection of service.  Routine maintenance is provided on water and sewer lines to keep them operating properly.

Public Works Director 

Allen Smith

Department Reports

Non-Discrimination Statement

This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.  

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at filing cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call 866-632-9992 to request the form.  You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax 202-690-7442 or email at


Town of Carthage

4396 Hwy 15-501 (Town Hall)
Carthage, North Carolina 28327
Office: (910) 947-2331 
Fax: (910) 947-3079

Office hours (on non-holiday working days) are: 

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.